Welcome!

Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon
Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon by George Stuart.
Welcome to my site about dolls of English History. This blog is one of a group of journals about dolls depicting characters from history in different geographic regions. English dolls are particularly dear to me because my paternal grandparents immigrated to the United States from Maidstone, England, a small Kent borough that lies 30 miles southeast of London. Last year, my sister and I had the thrill of visiting England for the first time and visited the church where our grandparents were married. In addition to a tour of Maidstone, we, of course, made all the usual tourist rounds including Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Leeds Castle, Warwick Castle, Windsor Castle, Stratford-on-Avon, York, Bath, St. Albans, Stonehenge, Oxford, Madame Tussaud's, the Tower of London, the British Museum, Picadilly Circus, the London Eye, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Ingtham Mote. If you wish to see pictures of our trip and read my impressions of this "incredible journey" check out my Incredible Journey blog.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Queen Elizabeth I by Barbara Beccio




Queen Elizabeth I by Barbara Beccio

Queen Elizabeth I
Candy Spelling Fantasy Doll
by Barbara Beccio
Originally uploaded by mharrsch.

American doll artist Barbara Beccio designed this Candy Spelling series doll for Madame Alexander in 1995. Her beautifully detailed costume reflects Barbara's Masters of Fine Art in costume and lighting design from New York University where she garnered the Seidman Award for Excellence in Design.



She had previously been nominated In 1994 for the Dolls Award of Excellence for "Jacqueline" one of Effanbee's collection of Victorian dolls called "The Ladies of Elegance . (I have several of these as well in my collection and they are quite stunning!)

"Her costuming also garnered another nomination for a Dolls of Excellence Award for "Amethyst", produced by Kingstate. A recreation of a Dewees Cochran American Child doll outfit won a Dolls of Excellence Award for Effanbee Doll Company and was featured as one of the Dolls for the Classic American Dolls Commemorative Stamps. She also designs Doll clothes for Ashton-Drake Galleries, as well as re-creating gowns for their Princess Diana Series." - The Hospice Mask Project

No comments: