Welcome!

Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon
Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon by George Stuart.
Welcome to my site about dolls of English History. This blog is one of a group of journals about dolls depicting characters from history in different geographic regions. English dolls are particularly dear to me because my paternal grandparents immigrated to the United States from Maidstone, England, a small Kent borough that lies 30 miles southeast of London. Last year, my sister and I had the thrill of visiting England for the first time and visited the church where our grandparents were married. In addition to a tour of Maidstone, we, of course, made all the usual tourist rounds including Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Leeds Castle, Warwick Castle, Windsor Castle, Stratford-on-Avon, York, Bath, St. Albans, Stonehenge, Oxford, Madame Tussaud's, the Tower of London, the British Museum, Picadilly Circus, the London Eye, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Ingtham Mote. If you wish to see pictures of our trip and read my impressions of this "incredible journey" check out my Incredible Journey blog.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Queen Elizabeth I by Nelli Cronin


Queen Elizabeth I
Originally uploaded by mharrsch.
This is a beautifully detailed OOAK doll by Nelli Cronin. Nelli is originally from St. Petersburg, Russia but she married a Brit and is now living in London. She faithfully recreated the white powdered face of Elizabeth who, like many ladies of the 16th century, used powdered lead to make themselves appear pale and delicate. Unfortunately, scholars speculate that this use of lead may have accounted for the severe deterioration in Elizabeth's beauty as she aged.

No comments: